Tuesday, March 11, 2014

poetry #6

Poetry #6
Neal Chapman

HOW CAN I HATE YOU?

I shall leave you
If I have to.
I shall forget you
If I have to.
I shall forgive you
If I have to.
But I shall not hate you
Even if I have to.
How can I hate you,
Whom I have loved so devotedly
And so unreservedly? 

title: the title of this poem at first glance, makes me think that there was a person who the author was close too, than betrayed him. it could have been a lover, or close friend, just from the title it is hard to tell.

paraphrase:  the beginning of the poem is about a person trying to forget another person. the second half of the poem is the same person saying that they could never hate that person.

Connotation: I believe that the connotation of this poem is that people who have ever been intimate, or a parent child relationship can never hate each other.

Tone: the start of the poem has a angry tone, while the second part of the poem has a more sad tone.

shift: halfway through the poem there is a tone shift from angry, to sad.

Title: The more i look at the title of this poem i think that this poem is about a parent, child relationship that goes wrong.

theme: the theme of this poem is love, lost, and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment