Friday, October 18, 2013



 revised college essay


My high school track coach selected me for a special opportunity. I was to travel to Fairbanks and go to the first ever united high school track and field state championships. The united part was that I would be partnered up with a special needs kid who was already on the team. The kids name was Ryan Harvey and he was one of the nicest kids on the team. He is autistic and it is quite noticeable, he also is one of the quietest kids I have ever met. He was part of the team, just like any other kid and competed. I had the chance to run a relay with him the year before. He handed the baton off to me and I was talking to him telling him what to do during the handoff. I guess my coach was happy with my ability to communicate with Ryan. Of course, I was honored to have the chance to make state history by competing (and hopefully winning a gold medal) in the first ever unified Alaska high school track and field championship.
            Our trip was paid for by Special Olympics Alaska, but other than that we were treated just like any other state contenders. We stayed with the rest of our team and they treated us just like we were any other athlete. We were to compete in three different events, the shot-put, the 100 meter sprint and the 400 meter relay. Up first was the shot-put. I had just spent the previous weak teaching Ryan how to throw the shot. We got third place and bronze medals. Secondly, we had the 100 meter sprint. We got another bronze medal. I was spending most of my time trying to talk to Ryan, asking him if he was having fun and stuff like that. He would always just say one word answers and that would usually be the end of the conversation. The last event for us was the 400 meter relay. The other two participants in the relay were a pair from the other high school in Juneau. We got first place in the relay. Right after we finished the officials gave all four of us got Alaska flags and we ran in front of the stands crowded with cheering people. We went up to get our medals and our pictures taken. As Ryan and I were walking back to put our regular shoes on, he talked to me without being asked a question for the first time in the trip He said to me with a smile on his face, “I got first place, what place did you get Neal?” “I was on the same team with you, I also got first place,” I responded to him with a matching smile on my face.
            This experience really taught what winning really means. I now know that winning is not just getting a medal, but it really is helping someone who is less fortunate than you. I might lose my medals someday, but I will never forget the day that I helped Ryan. That is what winning really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment